Saturday, December 21, 2013

Allison Celestia Taylor Litchfield Graduates

We've been looking forward to Christmas vacation for so long and for so many reasons. The number one reason was so we could go to Allison's graduation from Brigham Young University-Idaho in Rexburg. We've also been looking forward to spending some time in Wallace.

On our way to Wallace, we stopped at Lowe's in Coeur d'Alene to buy a new fridge because our old fridge stopped working last time we were there. We measured the space under the cabinets in the kitchen where the fridge was supposed to go and we measured the old fridge a million times. We thought we knew exactly what size to get. We knew we'd need to get a smaller than average sized fridge. So, along with two Ski-Do's, and Daniel's motorcycle, we strapped our new fridge onto the trailer. We must have looked pretty funny to the other drivers on the road.


Our neighbor, Elmer, helped us move the fridge into the house. We slid it into place but. . . . it was about 1/2" too tall to fit under the cabinets. What to do? Good thing Tom's so handy. He always asks, "What do normal people do?" Well, Tom Taylor would put the fridge on its side and cut out the rollers and anything else that makes the fridge one fraction of an inch taller.


This is what Abby Normal people would do

 

We breathed a huge sigh of relief when it barely slid into place.



We left Gypsy in Wallace for our wonderful neighbors, Corki and Elmer, to take care of her. We knew she would be in good hands. Early Thursday morning we were off to Rexburg. This is what I saw out my window for most of the 6 hour drive.

Beautiful countryside

As soon as we arrived in Rexburg, we went to work filling the Budget rental van with Tate and Allison's belongings. Tom and Tate and Dylan (Tate's sister's husband) took the furniture apart and loaded big boxes while Allison and I packed and packed and cleaned and cleaned.

Later that night, we checked into our hotel (a really yucky one), and then drove to Idaho Falls for dinner at a really yummy place called The Snake Bite. I highly recommend it. Next time you're in Idaho Falls.

Friday morning, we invited Allie and Tate to our hotel for breakfast and then headed back to their apartment for more cleaning and packing. We took a lunch break and invited Tate's sister, Robyn, and her husband, Dylan, to go to the famous "Taco Truck" with us. I've heard so much about this fine eating establishment that I was really excited to go. I was not disappointed.


Robyn and Dylan
Inside the taco truck. It was surprisingly warm inside.
     




After lunch we went back to the apartment and crashed for just a few minutes. After our nap, Tom and I drove to Rexburg Motorsports, a huge ATV, motorcycle and snowmobile showroom. I wanted one of everything. Too bad we don't need any more toys.

Nap time

Eventually, the big truck was full of Allison and Tate's lives. They had no room to spare. I don't think they could have been able to wedge a toothpick into that truck.



Tate's expression.  Ha!

Allison's graduation ceremonies started at 6:00 in the evening. We wondered over and over why they would decide to have graduation so late. I concluded that the University must have some kind of deal with the local hotels because most of the graduates had to house parents in a hotel. Because Rexburg is in the middle of absolutely nowhere, I'd be willing to bet that 85% of the people at the ceremonies were planning on spending the night. Including us.

It's official!





YUP!


After Commencement, we dashed to MacDonald's for a quick bite in the car and rushed back to her College graduation ceremonies. It was short and sweet.

I'm probably the only person in the entire world who actually loves graduations. I look around at all of the young people in their caps and gowns and I think about all the hard work they did to make it to this point in their lives. I'm so proud of Allison for sticking with it. I'm so happy that she met Tate while she was in Rexburg and that they've been able to start a wonderful life together. They have an amazing future ahead of them, starting with a trip to China to teach English at a major University beginning in February.

How many times can I say how proud I am?

The graduate

Tate and Allie decided to start their long drive to Henderson immediately after the ceremonies. Tom and I decided to try to make it to Butte. A snowstorm blew in just as we were attending graduation and the snow was accumulating very quickly.

We said goodbye to Tate and Allie and drove out into the blizzard. Tom is an amazing driver and I was only a little scared. There were NO other cars, no other people who were crazy enough to drive through the storm. We had intended to stop at a hotel in Butte but decided to keep going to Deer Lodge. Once at Deer Lodge, we decided to keep on driving to Wallace. It snowed most of the way and the going was slow, but we pulled into Wallace at about 4:30 in the morning, exhausted but so happy that we were home.

We heard from Allison along the way. They eventually made it to Henderson at around 9:00 in the morning, having driven the entire night. I'm sure they're exhausted, but excited to start their Christmas vacation.

It was a wonderful trip to Rexburg--probably our last trip there, unless some grandchildren decide to attend BYU-Idaho. Which would make me very happy.

One last time: I'm so proud of Allison!  









2 comments:

  1. I had so much fun this weekend! Thanks for coming up and helping us pack and supporting my graduation!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post Malm! I love reading about your adventures and seeing pictures! Next time I'm in Idaho Falls (???) I'll go to The Snake Bite. LOVE YOU ALLIE!

    ReplyDelete